Tuesday, October 2, 2012

real life pin: with the odd girl

 


31-daysbanner


 


My real life pin is up over at the odd girl today.


It all started awhile back when I “pinned” this image.



93238654754910619_KCcYTt2q_b


If you are a regular follower then you know I bought a motor
home and have been traveling with Kevin {my boyfriend} and my parents.


My
parents have a racecar you can find out more about that here, and here.


 Since April 16th
I have driven {been the passenger}


over 10thousand miles, across the country.


I
am currently on the last trip of the race season.


 


As I was traveling across country I’m sure I was on one of


my many mobile devices, trying to stay connected


to the rest of the world.


 


I found the above image and loved it.


I knew it would be a
great way to document my travels.


 


In July I got the assignment from Simple Scrapper,


to scrap a layout
using a map.


I was so excited for this layout to be created.


 


1. I love maps


2.
I have traveled so much this year it would be super easy


3. I immediately knew
I had pinned this image, and wanted to try it.


 


And that is why I am calling
this my real life pin.


 


I pinned & I recreated the pin!


And now for my tutorial.


 


I thought about how I would recreate this for a while,


and
the first attempt worked


{so thankful for that, not all my ideas work! lol}



DSC_0312


I went to AAA and got a map of
the United States.


Now I wasn’t sure if this would work, so the girl gave me 3
maps to fuss with.


{I am a member and with a membership you get free maps}


I was afraid that the cities/towns wouldn’t be the right
size with the punch,


or I might end up cutting through a town that I needed to
punch,


blah, blah, blah.


 


I wrote out a list of states/towns we slept in.


It ended up
we almost stayed in every state we drove through.


 


I didn’t have a large heart punch so I went out and bought
3. I didn’t know what size would be good,


and you can always use a heart punch,



so I got all 3 and ended up using the largest
one
I found.


 


I located the towns/cities/states and started punching.


Some
of the states we stayed in multiple places.


I decided to make little flags with
the town/cities on them.


 


I found a font I liked and
typed all the info out.


I cut them up into flags as small as I could.



DSC_0308


After I punched the hearts from the map I ironed the hearts
to get the creases from the folds out.


I just used the iron on a low setting.


 


I wanted the hearts to have a bit of dimension,


so I punched
some more hearts from cardstock and glued the map hearts to


the cardstock
hearts to give them stability.


 


I went to lay the hearts out on a 12x12 piece of card stock,



and I realized I had to many hearts for 1 piece of cardstock.


 


With my left over
map,


I knew there were other places I would be traveling through out 2012 so I
punched those places too.


 


I then attached my little flags with my tiny attacher


{little tiny staples for little tiny
flags}



DSC_0307



IMG_3492



IMG_3493


With the all of the places on my traveling agenda punched,


I
laid out all my hearts and I was able to fit in a title for a 2-page layout.


I
was only required to have one pager,


and I needed it finished by a certain
date.


I finished the left side of the page. And this is what it looks like.


When my travels are done this year I will finish the right side,


it’s all ready
to go


{I just didn’t want to finish it incase our agenda changed, I wanted the
places to be correct}




I currently am in Pennsylvania, and I drove through Arkansas,


Tennessee and Virginia to get here.


So you can see I will have no problem
completing the 2nd page!


Hope you enjoyed this project. If you have any questions
please ask away



No comments:

Post a Comment